Recycling Operative Wanted
Do you have the skills?
Job Description and Person Specification – Recycling Operative
ASAN Wood Saints
Responsible to: Wood Recycling Manager
1. Job Purpose
Wood Saints is a Community Business set up to help the environment and create jobs and volunteering opportunities for local people by collecting, reusing and recycling waste timber from the building industry. All surpluses from the business will be reinvested into community initiatives in the All Saints neighbourhood of Wolverhampton.
Recycling Operative will be responsible for waste wood collections in Wolverhampton and the Black Country, running the wood warehouse, manufacturing wood products for sale and supporting volunteers and apprentices. The successful candidate must be able to contribute towards creating a dynamic and successful team and demonstrate entrepreneurship and creativity across all work tasks.
2. Job Description
A hands-on recycling operative is needed to work across all the day to day operations of a new and exciting wood recycling business, key job tasks will include:
- Driving to building sites to collect “waste” timber, sorting and grading wood collections.
- Exercising entrepreneurial initiative to identify and secure new wood collections, maintaining excellent customer relationships throughout thereby supporting business development and growth.
- Undertaking sales and marketing activities
- Creating straightforward wooden furniture and other items for sale
- Organising and maintaining warehouse and associated areas
- Line management of apprentice and volunteer staff
- Ensuring that all activities are carried out according to policies and procedures, particularly in relation to Health, Safety and Environment legislation, employment legislation and equal opportunities.
- Any other work duties commensurate with the post
3. Person Specification
The key qualities that will define an applicants’ suitability are high levels of motivation and initiative; good communication skills; sympathy and understanding towards people; the ability to constructively work within a dynamic team environment and carry out a good amount of manual labour. Further details are provided below
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to solve problems creatively
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- High level of motivation and enthusiasm
- Business acumen and appreciation of how to achieve business development and growth
- Knowledge of using social media to market and promote businesses including E bay. Gumtree, Facebook & Pinterest
- Positive and caring attitude
- In good health and physically fit
- Competent with hand tools
- IT skills and experience – Microsoft Office
- A full, clean UK driving licence held for at least 2 years
- Health and Safety aware
- Some experience of the building trade
- Some experience with power tools
- An interest in environmental and social issues
- Experience of driving a tipper van (3 tonne), Ford Transit or similar